Did you know a silverfish lays several eggs each day in crevices and dark places that are merely visible to the human eye?
Ever walking in your kitchen or bathroom you have found at floor silvery, slimy and odd looking bug creeping across, these slithering pests are known as Silverfish. As the name suggests, they have flat silver bodies and ½ to 1 inch in length and creeping in fish-like motion. They are not dangerous pests but are a nuisance to many humans. When silverfish infest, they are prone to damaging items by feeding them. Their primary food includes anything that contains star or polysaccharides. These fishes feed on paper, photos, wallpaper, glue and many more. Usually, the homeowner notices holes in things or markings and etch on items. You may also find small scales and feces if there is an extreme infestation.
Prevention and Possible Solution
Silverfish are common insects but getting rid of them is a tough task. They possess the talent to crawl in high speed and hide. The silverfish are nocturnal; you cannot find it easily.
- Signs of Infestation
Silverfish love to go around with book and box as their primary source of transportation. Their infestation can initiate from garage, attic, basement or place where there are cardboard boxes kept. They are a fan of carbohydrates and shed in darker and damper place.
Their droppings appear and look ordinary like peppercorn pieces. They are usually found in a black and spherical structure.
There may be holes in books, wallpapers, office papers, cardboard boxes and much more. It is a significant mark that silverfish have found their next residence.
- Yellow Stains on clothes
You may find difficult yellow stains. They are more attracted to damp garments like cotton, silk, and linen.
- Increased hole and gaps
You would find holes or notches along the edge.
- Possible Solutions
- Forget the DIY ways and get touch with a local Silverfish Pest Control Company.
- Caulk all cervices, cracks and small holes found in your home and garage that keep them away from entering.
- Inspect all possession in your resident, like old boxes, old papers, wardrobe, cupboards, etc. If you don’t require them, throw away. Check if there are any signs of infestation or pepper like feces.
- Place all food items in an air-tight container.
- Regular mop, dust and vacuum your house to get rid of eggs.
- Remove or repair old wallpaper in your house.
- Keep your house adequately sanitized.
- Keep the variety of potential food sources away from humid spaces and open spaces.
- Improve sources of ventilation.
- Use a dehumidifier that can reduce the moisture in the air.
Silverfish are tough to control and prone in a home that persists of wooden shingles. Silverfish tend to eat Wood shingles, and these flat bodies creatures can find their shelter easily in it. Silverfish attracts other insects like carpet beetles that can cause damage and uneasiness.
Some of the organic ways to repel silverfish, but these are not considered sufficient for the long term.
- Citrus Sprays
- Diatomaceous earth
- Cedar Shaving
Another practical method of getting rid of the infestation and killing silverfish is hired a Professional Green Pest Shield Pest Control. A representative would come and assess the situation. We would explain the situation to you for the quickest way of getting rid of silverfish or other insects.